My first attempt at sewing an article of clothing: Part One

After pouting about how I felt like I wasn’t getting any better at sewing, I looked back on my list of “completed” projects and realized I really didn’t sew all that much, for a handful of reasons.  I decided that I should really try to commit more to sewing projects.

I’ve been pinning a lot on my Pinterest boards on DIY projects and sewing projects lately, and yesterday, I finally started on a dress pattern that I had since summer.  I can’t just keep pinning things and adding further things to my “to sew” list if I never even begin on what I already have on it, right?

Part of the reason why I held off from doing this dress for so long is because I was afraid I would mess up.  But what comforted me was the memory of meeting a wonderful lady who spent many years sewing and had worked on many more projects than I have.

She said, “It’s just fabric!

So true. It is, indeed, just fabric.  With that in mind, I set to work yesterday on a trial run of the Vogue Easy dress pattern designed by Rebecca Taylor. I already had gathered the fabric and notions… it was time to do it!

Naturally, since I had never sewn clothing before or even read a pattern, I was sure I would mess up, so I practiced on muslin to spare the that expensive Liberty of London blue-and-white floral fabric that I adore so much.

I’m glad I did the muslin first.  As it turns out, there are a lot of things I forgot to do, or just sort of messed up on, because admittedly, I am TERRIBLE at following instructions.

Also, some of the instructions (when I actually tried to read them instead of just interpreting pictures, hah) were confusing and unclear. Like, why would you pin the skirt to the bodice before you install an elastic waistband, huh? WHY?! I never figured out the solution to that, so I just didn’t sew it in, causing the dress to be much looser than intended.

The result, which is still very much a work in progress, is this:

Image

You can see I’m pulling back the excess fabric.  Um, I think I at least I got the gist of the dress, right?  Here’s the goal dress for comparison (I’m still mad this pattern is only $18 at this site, whereas I paid $30+ at Joann’s!  REALLY?):

Image

 I’m trying to figure out the waist band situation, and I forgot to sew in a couple darts in the bodice and finish the raw edges, but I think that once I figure out the waist band, I could probably start with the pretty fabric, which is Liberty of London Tana Lawn Josephine’s Garden.

Isn’t it lovely? And it’s soft, too.

Image

 This is also the first time I’ve sewn pleats. They’re not that bad!  I was freaking out a bit when I first saw the directions, but once I started to crease the fabric, it kind of just fell into place… and then I sewed it down.

Image

Note to self:  Buy flat-head pins!

I’m going to be avidly searching Google to gain a better understanding of how to install a waistband elastic now…

Advertisements

What I’d like to sew

What I'd like to sew

A flouncy floral skirt with plenty of soft pleats and a little black dress with a chiffon layer… because, you know, you can never have too many little black dresses.

Finding inspiration for sewing things is easy… finding things for sewing what you want is hard.

Image credit:  Left – Hapa Time; Right – Unknown Pinterest source.

Sewing a Christmas Gift: The Naughty & The Nice

I first started my Christmas shopping a week or two ago.  One of the things of my list of Christmas-related things to do was sew a small makeup bag to contain a couple gifts – an eyeshadow palette and a small set of makeup brushes – that I purchased for my boyfriend’s mom.  So, I got started this evening…

Behold.  The straightest seams I have ever sewn to date.

Image

Image

Isn’t it amazing?

Then, also amazingly, I managed to bend a pin.  I guess you could say, it bent to my will…

Image

It still got through in any case!  I mean, with much, much effort on my part.

Image

Then, after that, another little problem came up.  I was trimming the excess from the seams, and I hadn’t realized I was cutting right into a zipper.  The pinking shears quickly become stuck, and I just sat there for a couple minutes, unsure of what to do as I had tried to pry them apart with my hands, and it didn’t work.  After a while, I was like, “NOOOOOO, NOT MY FISKARS!!” and with the jaws of life, I used my hands to force apart those scissors, thus freeing my precious pinking shears.

Image

I just really love my pinking shears, okay?  Look at those perfectly pinked edges. Hah? Get it? Pinked… and the fabric is pink…

Image

The finished product.  Luckily, this time I remembered to unzip the zipper so I could have an opening in which to easily turn my bag inside out.  The first time I sewed a makeup bag, I didn’t do that – I spent quite a few minutes trying to get the zipper to unzip without being able to really put on the zip handle, but I eventually got it.

Image

It fits these small makeup items perfectly!  Because you know, I customized it to fit that way.

Image

Look! No open holes at the end of the zipper piece!  The first time I sewed my makeup bag, I had a small little gap, which wasn’t that bad, but it still bothered me.  This time, I ensured there was no gap.

ImageImageImage

And here’s the naughty part.

I opened the door to my bathroom to find this.  The aftermath.

Image

I had kept my cat in the bathroom with the door closed so that she wouldn’t attack my sewing equipment and cause trouble while I was working on this project.

Image

You can see the tip of her tail on the right.

So, that’s another Christmas gift I can cross off my list!  Off to clean up that mess of what was formerly toilet paper now.